November 21, 2014

Pieces by Janine Infante Bosco

Pieces by Janine Infante Bosco
Series: The Riverdale #1
Source: Kindle edition
Publisher: indie
Publication Date: April 6th, 2014
Age Group: Adult
Jake Lanza is one of Riverdale New York’s favorite sons. He owns a tattoo parlor in the small upstate town and prides himself on being a fun-loving, live by the seat of your pants type of guy. He has everything he wants in life, a thriving business, a great family and a best friend with whom he could never live without.
Cara Sloane weaved her way into Jake’s life when they were fifteen years old. After her life fell apart at such a young age, Jake helped her heal, and began to pick up the pieces of her fallen life. His unconventional ways slowly had him becoming the anchor in her life.
Now fourteen years later Jake begins to see Cara in a new light. The things he thought he never wanted, he suddenly began to yearn for. The only problem was they were both too frightened to lose the greatest love either of them has ever known. Can Jake convince Cara there is more for them than just a friendship? Is he willing to take that gamble himself?
I got Pieces as a free kindle book. I was immediately interested by the theme of long time friends becoming more. It's one of my favorites. I started reading it almost the same day I got it, and immediately I noticed a glaring issue.

This book was poorly edited. It's not that it was badly written, but there were typos, sometimes the author wrote the wrong name, and most noticeable - the comma abuse. Every sentence had an insane amount of commas, even where they weren't need. It fractured the sentences, broke the fluidity of the reading, and kept taking me out of the plot as I was trying to translate how the sentence should be written.

It took a lot of effort and concentration to get over that and keep reading.

But I will admit - this book is good, aside for that. It has good characters - what with both Cara and Jake being strong, funny, good people - a good romance that made you feel the both of them belonged together, and the interactions between everyone made me smile and laugh.

It was also heartbreaking, but not in a way that made me (personally) cry. Probably because my issues with the commas stopped me from being completely swallowed by the book.

However, I won't be reading book 2. Not because this book wasn't good, but because SPOILER FOR BOOK TWO I know Jake dies. And I can't take that. I also can't take the direction of the third book. I never wanted those two together. No, Jake and Cara is it for me in this book. So, no thank you. END SPOIELR

   Nitzan

No comments:

Post a Comment