November 28, 2014

A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall

A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
Source: bought paperback
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Publication Date: August 26th. 2014
Age Genre: New Adult (no sex)
Fourteen viewpoints.
One Love Story.
Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places. Unfortunately, Lea is a little aloof, Gabe is shy, and it looks like they are never going to work things out.
But something is happening between them, and everyone can see it. Their creative writing teacher pushes them together. The baristas at the local Starbucks watch their relationship like a TV series. The bus driver tells his wife about them. The waitress at the diner automatically seats them together. Even the squirrel who lives on the college green believes Lea and Gabe are meant to be together.

You'll be rooting for Gabe and Lea too, in this irresistibly romantic, completely original novel!
As Ryan Gosling so wonderfully put it, this book was Adorable. With a capital A. If you're looking for a cute story that will make you AWWW out-loud, grin stupidly, and generally make you forget all your worries (worries? What worries?) A Little Something Different is a safe bet.

Seriously, I spent the majority of this book smiling goofily, be it at the couple in question, or merely from the interactions between everyone, because they were all funny, and witty, and real. Like, those were conversations I could see myself having with my friends. I could see myself being their friend.

The greatest achievement in this book, for me, is how Hall managed to make me invested in all the characters. Be it Lea and Gabe, whom--yes, I got into big time. Like, screaming-"KISS-ALREADY"-in-harmony-with-the-rest-of-the-cast into--or the Squirrel, or even Victor (Which is really something, cause the guy was pretty annoying).

There are fourteen points of view in this book, y'all. Fourteen. That's, like... a ton. But I never felt one was unnecessary, or too much, or confusing. I loved each POV, and I honestly think each and everyone of the supporting characters deserve his/her own story, even though Hall has managed to sneak in a bit of their story (or at the very least, their romantic prospect), into the mix through their interactions alone.

A Little Something Different is different. It's unique. It's a love story when the couple doesn't narrate a single part. You have parts where a bench tells the story. And I actually wished there was more of Mr. Bench.

I think it's worth reading just for the freshness of it, even if you don't want the unfortunate side effect of suffocating your pillow due to massive overdose of cuteness. Luckily for me, A Little Something Different was exactly what the doctor ordered!
   Nitzan

2 comments:

  1. So I started this book a while ago but never finished. I think I'm going to pick it up again. I feel like it's one of those books that I'd love, but I was in such a slump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll like it the second time around! I just thought it was so cute and lovely :)
    Reading slumps are the devil...

    ReplyDelete