July 4, 2014

The Taste of Apple Seeds by Katharina Hagena

The Taste of Apple Seeds: A Novel
The Taste of Apple Seeds by Katharina Hagena
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: William Morrow Books
Publication Date: February 4, 2014
An international bestseller, The Taste of Apple Seeds is a story of love and loss that will captivate your heart.

When Iris unexpectedly inherits her grandmother's house in the country, she also inherits the painful memories that live there.

Iris gives herself a one-week stay at the old house, after which she'll make a decision: keep it, or sell it. The choice is not so simple, though, for her grandmother's cottage is an enchanting place where currant jam tastes of tears, sparks fly from fingertips, love's embrace makes apple trees blossom, and the darkest family secrets never stay buried.

As Iris moves in and out of the flicker between remembrance and forgetting, she chances upon a forgotten childhood friend who could become more.

The Taste of Apple Seeds is a bittersweet story of heartbreak and hope passed down through the generations.


The wheels of destiny have always been set in motion - in our family as well - by a fall. And by an apple.

While The Taste of Apple Seeds was an alright kind of book, I can't really say that I enjoyed it very much. Don't get me wrong, it was okay... but I feel like it was missing something. For instance, it was missing a pull - there wasn't really anything interesting happening. To put it bluntly, it was pretty dang boring. I feel like it was just pages of description that lead up to an ultimately anticlimactic ending.

The pacing was extremely strange, to go along with all of that description. Sometimes it just went so slowly, just dragging along, and then suddenly it would pick up - like a whirlwind, suddenly everything would be happening at once, and it was so confusing! I felt like the slow writing made me sleepy, and the fast writing just made me confused!

Now, I liked the style - but the pacing definitely needed some work. Something that I found odd was the sheer amount of family history we got in this novel - it honestly seemed to be exclusively about her history, and while that was okay... it was a bit strange. Little bits of history would just pop up randomly; and sometimes I wondered if they even had anything to do with the story!

It was very hard to get a hold on what the story was actually about, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be about the main character finding herself, and who she wants to be - but I'm not positive about that. I can honestly say that the best part of this story was the ending - everything was resolved, and it made a little bit more sense. I just didn't love this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment