July 18, 2014

The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
The Selection by Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: April 24, 2012
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

To be completely honest with you, I didn't really think that I would enjoy The Selection. I only tried it because of the hype around it, but I actually ended up really enjoying it! I loved the writing style - it was done very simply, but it just kind of flowed, which made it beautiful. I also liked the storyline, which came as a bit of a surprise to me. I mean, I love romance, but I've never been a fan of those bachelorette type storylines - until this one.

I found the world to be pretty interesting, and I liked the idea of a caste type system and a monarchy used in a dystopian USA, but I didn't really understand how it came about. There was some explanation throughout the book, but it didn't give me enough information to really get it, if you know what I mean. To be honest, it was actually really confusing. Like, say, a six. How did they come to be slaves and servants, based on what their grandparents were? Because, well, how were they picked? We have people who cook and clean as a job, but no one who's really a servant for a living. (At least, no one that I know.) And the fives, the entertainment? The people who entertain for a living are usually not starving. Just, everything was so screwed up that I just couldn't help but question the very foundations of their caste system. Every single bit of it was questionable, in my opinion.

America was an okay character, and I liked how she was fierce, but there wasn't much else to her. And I can tell you right off, that if she goes for Maxon rather than Aspen, I just won't be able to respect her. Trust me, as much as she talked and thought about Aspen... I'd go for him.

I've seen a lot of mentions on the names used in The Selection, and I have to agree. They are pretty ridiculous. Aspens are a type of tree, and it's ridiculous to have a King Clarkson. Not to mention the fact that America Singer is in fact, a singer. And living in America. I'm so proud of the creativity employed here. *sarcasm*

But in spite of the goofy names, and the world-building flaws, it really was a good read, mostly for the light and fun stuff. It reads kind of like a contemporary romance book, and you all know how much I adore those. If you think you can get past those problems, I would give The Selection a shot.

6 comments:

  1. I agree; the names are pretty weird but I liked this book. The rest of the trilogy, whoever, is something totally different. lol. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it too. I think what I liked was the choice that she makes at the end regarding the boys. I love that third option in the love triangle. Also, Aspen does nothing for me. I hate that condescending "I know what's best for you" attitude. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think this was a book I'd enjoy until I read your review. Most of the reviews I've read were negative and didn't really talk about why one would like the book. I'd probably be annoyed by the issues, but overall I'd probably still have fun reading it! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thanks for the compliment! I didn't think that it would be my thing either. :) Hmm... that's not good! There's always an audience for any book, in my opinion. Hopefully you get a chance to read this one! You're welcome, girly! Thanks for commenting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! LOL, I liked that too... it was a very interesting twist. :) Aspen & Maxon both are just kind of... okay. But she talks about Aspen so much more, so I just think she should go for him, since she already loves him. And the attitude sucks, I agree. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are VERY weird! And I liked it too. LOL, I hope I get to see how different it is! :)

    ReplyDelete