May 5, 2014

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)
The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Series: Heroes of Olympus, #2
Source: Bought
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: October 4, 2011
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call, 
To storm or fire the world must fall. 
An oath to keep with a final breath, 
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

Percy is confused. When he awoke from his long sleep, he didn't know much more than his name. His brain fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa told him he is a demigod and trained him to fight with the pen/sword in his pocket. Somehow Percy manages to make it to a camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he has to keep killing monsters along the way. But the camp doesn't ring any bells with him. The only thing he can recall from his past is another name: Annabeth

Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn't do a very good job of it. Sure, she was an obedient daughter, even when her mother was possessed by greed. But that was the problem — when the Voice took over her mother and commanded Hazel to use her "gift" for an evil purpose, Hazel couldn't say no. Now because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk. Hazel wished she could ride away from it all on the stallion that appears in her dreams.

Frank is a klutz. His grandmother says he is descended from heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn't see it. He doesn't even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery — although not good enough to win camp war games. His bulky physique makes him feel like an ox, especially infront of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely — enough to share the secret he holds close to his heart.

Beginning at the "other" camp for half-bloods and extending as far as the land beyond the gods, this breathtaking second installment of the Heroes of Olympus series introduces new demigods, revives fearsome monsters, and features other remarkable creatures, all destined to play a part in the Prophesy of Seven.

Honestly, I'm sure you all remember how much I missed Percy, so I won't go into details - but I missed him. A lot. But in The Son of Neptune, we get him back. And really... it was kind of strange.

Imagine knowing every detail of the characters background - while they don't know anything. You know every move that they make, and why they feel strange about certain things - always. And they don't - it's just very... trippy, I guess. When I said I missed Percy, I meant the one who remembered everything - and while it was great to have him back, even sans memories... I still missed him. He was there but he wasn't, you know?

And on top of that... Camp Jupiter is a totally different world than Camp Half-Blood. You can see the similarities, but Camp Jupiter is much more war driven (versus fun), and there was actually a city type set up. Once you're of age, you can stay. Interesting, but I think I'd still take Camp Half-Blood - they're a lot more chill about everything.

I liked Frank and Hazel. They both had very complicated histories, but they both show exciting promise. They're braver than anyone. I'm positive! I loved the sweet romance between the two, and I think that they're perfect together. Both of them are adorable in an underdog way, but especially Frank. He's just a big huggable bear! (hee hee)

Everything that happened in this book was interesting, but I'm just not completely sure at where I stand on this series. It feels like something very big is going to happen, and I don't know what. Which is killing me. All in all, The Son of Neptune is a good book. I'll definitely give it that.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about missing him... but I loved him here. I loved his love to Annabeth. I mean asdafhsgjh! HE REMEMBERS HER NAME! ONLY HER NAME! *melts* and I loved watching him through the eyes of other people for once. Gives a whole new perspective. (Like, he's hot. I always imagined Percy cute, but less hot. But he is! So awesome! And he's really impressive when he fights. As Percy doesn't think of himself like that, through his eyes he looked more clumsy :P)
    I definitely think something BIG is gonna happen, but the fact we don't know makes it all the more interesting!


    And, actually, I'm for camp Jupiter. Yes, SPARTA. But, they have futures, and families, and somewhat normal lives when they grow up, as opposed to camp half blood, where surviving to adulthood is something of a miracle..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I missed Percy a lot, especially when I was reading The Lost Hero. And there is something big coming. Hurry up and read the others. The last book, The Blood of Olympus, comes out this October! :D

    ReplyDelete