May 9, 2014

Lovely Vicious by Sara Wolf

Lovely Vicious (Lovely Vicious, #1)
Lovely Vicious by Sara Wolf
Series: Lovely Vicious, #1
Source: Author for Review
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: November 5, 2013
Fire meets ice. Love meets hate. 

Seventeen-year-old Isis Blake hasn’t fallen in love in three years, nine weeks, and five days, and after what happened last time, she intends to keep it that way. Since then she’s lost eighty-five pounds, gotten four streaks of purple in her hair, and moved to the Buttcrack-of-Nowhere Ohio to help her mom escape a bad relationship.

All the girls in her new school want one thing – Jack Hunter, the Ice Prince of East Summit High. Hot as an Armani ad, smart enough to get into Yale, and colder than the Arctic, Jack Hunter’s never gone out with anyone. Sure, people have seen him downtown with beautiful women, but he’s never given high school girls the time of day. Until Isis punches him in the face.

Jack’s met his match. Suddenly everything is a game.

The goal: Make the other beg for mercy.

The game board: East Summit High.

The reward: Something neither of them expected.

I really didn't think that I would like Lovely Vicious near as much as I did. I was expecting a bit of cliche, and while there was that, it didn't bother me a bit, because I loved the characters! Isis, the main character, really had some fire about her. I loved her sense of humor, and even if she was a bit out there, she really was lovable. She was very genuine, and though she can take things a bit far sometimes, I think she means well.

I didn't care for her immature insults, and I cringed a couple of times, but other than that, she really was an awesome character. While I loved her instantly, it took me a bit to like Jack. There's nothing wrong with him per say, but man he chapped me!

Mostly, it was because he was such a jerk! And for a long time, too! While Isis can be rude, she's usually not intentionally mean. (At least, I never got that vibe from her.) Jack pushes the boundaries, then he runs right over them, with his ego in tow. We got to know him a bit better with the chapters from his point of view, but he could still be a jerk sometimes.

There was plenty of heart clenching throughout their romance, that's for sure! I really enjoyed that part of the book, and I liked the fact that lots of things were implied, rather than thrown in your face. It gives you a chance to fill in the blanks for yourself, which was nice.

My only real problem with Lovely Vicious? It just ends, with no warning and no resolution. Such a cliffy!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad you liked this. But it does sound a bit cliche, that's the first thing I noticed about it. But otherwise, great review.

    Your reader,

    Soma

    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan, too. I can't wait for the last in the series

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read the first in the series, but I'd definitely like to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete