May 6, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #2
Source: Bought
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publication Date: February 5, 2013
The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
I am 110% sure that Scarlet was much better than Cinder could have ever hoped to have been. With Scarlet as our main protagonist, nothing was ever boring. And better yet, I truly identified with Scarlet! I loved her fiery, independent personality, and the way that she wasn't afraid to tell it like it was.

I also really loved Wolf, even if he did do a few things that I didn't see coming. He's basically.....*sigh*

I loved the romance between them. Although it came along fast, I have to say that I never felt like it was instalove or like it wasn't real-- the tension between them was fantastic! I'm seriously having such a hard time writing this review-- all I really feel like saying is: aoerihgoeirioelhroiehrgoeihyr.

That's how jumbled all of my thoughts are right now-- I just can't straighten them out! I loved the interspersed chapters told from Cinder, Kai, Thorne and Wolf's point of view. Although Scarlet is our main character, (and she's fabulous!) I liked seeing little bits of development on the other characters. I think that my one problem with this book would have to be that I don't remember Cinder being so...I don't know how to explain it. I guess she isn't really the same person to me anymore.

Which is sad, because I loved her. But I'll get over it, and she's still a great supporting character in this one! On another note, the world-building was FABULOUS. I was immediately drawn into it, and I could picture every tiny detail. I witnessed the fights. I was there. IT WAS CRAZY AWESOME.

All in all, I have to say that Scarlet left a fantastic impression on me-- when does Cress come out again? Oh yeah...2014. Well, I'll find some way to occupy my time. *twiddles thumbs*
"Yeah, well, I try to think for myself once in a while, rather than buy into the ridiculous propaganda the media would have us believe." She frowned, realizing that she sounded exactly like her grandmother. She tempered her annoyance with a sigh. "People are just so quick to accuse and criticize, but they don't know what she's been through or what led her to do the things she did. Do we even know for sure that she did anything?" ~ Pg. 164

No comments:

Post a Comment