May 20, 2013

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally

Things I Can't Forget
Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally
Series: Hundred Oaks, #3
Source: Won
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Publication Date: March 1, 2013
Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different…

This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt--with her.

Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy…
Things I Can't Forget was much better than I was expecting. All I've been hearing about is how judgemental Kate is, and how snooty she is. But honestly, I didn't see that at all. Kate was actually a lot deeper than that-- I think that she was just a confused teenage girl. She's just figuring out what she believes, and whether or not she is the person she wants to be. That's what I saw. Yes, she did judge people, but I feel like I can be honest here: she's a girl. We don't like to say it, but we have opinions on everything, and sometimes they're not nice.

It's true. Anywho, moving on. I enjoyed the cameo appearances of Jordan, Sam, Will and Parker. It was great to see them all again, and it shows that Kate really was trying to be nice. Two points for her! I also seriously adored the camp setting-- I've been a counselor, and I think that it was a fairly honest portrayal. But our camp has "girl" sides and "boy" sides. Far as I know, no one crosses that. ;P

Onto Matt. I think that he was a good fit for Kate, because he kind of mellows her out, and she needed that. The character growth for both of them was phenomenal. Just sayin'! Matt was really sweet, and I adore his big family. I love when there are large families in books, especially when they all have fairly healthy relationships with each other. Plus, they totally make me giggle!

I wasn't a particularly big fan of the secondary characters, but I definitely appreciate what all of them bring to the table. All in all, Things I Can't Forget was a good read that I recommend for when you're in a mellow kind of mood.
Matt is the rock. He makes me want to stand up for what I think is right. Maybe all that matters is that he's right for me, and I'm right for him. ~ Pg. 274

No comments:

Post a Comment