February 21, 2012

Ten Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher

A thoroughly enthralling book. Everything you've ever wished you could write, but couldn't. Miss Christine Fletcher has managed to interweave a story about greed, the mob, and dancing with some romance. What girl wouldn't swoon over this book? I mean really. Ever read Bright Young Things? No? Well don't, it's awful. But I can use it as an example for the awesomeness level of this book. Here is Bright Young Things_. I hated it. It didn't explain anything (Keep Reading). Here is Ten Cents a Dance '''''. Ok, get it? It was freaking Awesome. (Sorry, I couldn't find a tall line). So compare the two, You see where I'm going? I love it. End of story.




So Moving on. Here's the Blurb:




With her mother ill, it’s up to fifteen-year-old Ruby Jacinski to support her family. But in the 1940s, the only opportunities open to a Polish-American girl from Chicago’s poor Yards is a job in one of the meat packing plants. Through a chance meeting with a local tough, Ruby lands a job as a taxi dancer and soon becomes an expert in the art of “fishing”: working her patrons for meals, cash, clothes, even jewelry. Drawn ever deeper into the world of dance halls, jazz, and the mob, Ruby gradually realizes that the only one who can save her is herself.  A mesmerizing look into a little known world and era.


I give this Book Three Stars. I tend to ramble uncontrollably when I've read a book that reminds me of another, but you know, Better. Sorry.
I received this book in a giveaway from a fellow Blogger, Sage. Visit her Blog Here.


No comments:

Post a Comment