July 3, 2015

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater




Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle #3
Source: Bought signed Hardcover
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: October 21st 2014
Age Genre: Young Adult
There is danger in dreaming. But there is even more danger in waking up.
Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs.
The trick with found things though, is how easily they can be lost.
Friends can betray.
Mothers can disappear.
Visions can mislead.
Certainties can unravel.

"...But what she didn't realize about Blue and her boys was that they were all in love with one another. She was no less obsessed with them than they were with her, or one another, analyzing every conversation and gesture, drawing out every joke into a longer and longer running gag, spending each moment either with one another or thinking about when next they would be with one another.
 
Blue was perfectly aware that it was possible to have a friendship that wasn't all-encompassing, that wasn't blinding, deafening, maddening, quickening. It was just that now that she'd had this kind, she didn't want the other."
.... I don't know where to start. Where does one begin when it comes to such a marvelous creation? All I want to do is gash and squeal and swoon. How do I arrange that into coherent thought. Should I even arrange that, if that is the genuine reaction I have to this book and I want my review to properly express that?

I guess I'll go by my status updates on GR to construct this review.

First, let me say this - so many otp moments to squee over, from practically the first page! Blue and Gansey are testing my sanity, I swear. My vocal cords are shot from squealing so loudly and so often while reading this. Touching fingertips in secret? Calling each other late at night? Going on drives? hugging?!?!?!!
And then there are... Adam and Ronan. I was not aboard this ship in the first book. I didn't even know this ship was a possibility. Then came book two, and I was shipping Ronan in love with Adam, but I wasn't there yet. And then came book three. RONAN, YOU LITTLE PIECE OF SHIT STOP BEING SO SECRETLY NICE TO ADAM I CAN'T TAKE IT *SOBS*

And then, and then, Adam! I mean, ADAM!

So, yes. I'm on this ship and enjoying the view immensely. And they were together so much in this book, or roundabout thinking about each other when they weren't, even if it wasn't in the romantic sense... it was just so adorable and sweet and I CAN'T TAKE IT!
Speaking of Adam... HE GREW SO MUCH from the Adam in book one! That is to say, he finally outgrew of his Dickface phase, and realized that his friends aren't pitying him or trying to make him owe them--they're just being his f*cking friends! So, finally, in the third book, I could fully love Adam, instead of occasionally cursing him/wanting to strangle him. 
"Don't tell the others," Gansey said.
"I'm dead," Noah replied. "Not Stupid".
Who hadn't we talked about yet? that's right--NOAH. Of all the raven boys, Noah is the one I've always wanted for myself. I feel like he doesn't get nearly as much love as he's supposed to, because he is a precious cinnamon roll. But what is going on with my baby in this book?! LEAVE NOAH ALONE, do you hear me, you evil possibly ghostly things?! 
This is your last warning. Leave my baby be. 
Okay, okay, I'm calming down. Give me a sec.

Aside for all these, every character was just astounding in this novel.

Blue and Mr Gray have developed this... kind of fatherly relationship that I adore and totally approve of. Maura, if you want to marry the guy, I ain't gonna stop you. Just saying.

And can we just talk about the fact Gansey woke them up with a word? (I'm playing the pronoun game. Go read the book). CAN WE? SOMEONE SPEAK TO ME ABOUT IT BECAUSE I'M FREAKING OUT.

Then there was the DEATH. Yes, this book contains a death. And it's shocking and unexpected and how exactly are we supposed to deal, eh!? Because I am not dealing.

And then the end? Folks, cliffhanger alert! of the delicious kind, though. The one that says:
And now I NEED the next book, ASAP. But I'm also SCARED SHITLESS of the sequel *cries*.

The one thing I'd like to close this review with, which will be slightly less fangirling in its nature, is Maggie Stiefvater's writing. It is one of the most beautiful of writings. Do you know those moments where you just read a line that is so gorgeous, so poetic, so thought-provoking that you have to close the book and stare at the wall for a few minutes just marveling at what you just read?

THIS is the type of writing Stiefvater employs. I stopped counting these little pauses somewhere around the twenty-three mark. Never before has a book made me want to mark things in it because it was so beautiful, and I did not want to forget.

(I didn't though, relax)
Nitzan

2 comments:

  1. It really has good bones to a wonderful story. I love the cover too. I guess I'll enjoy it!
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has good bones to a wonderful story. I love the cover too. I guess I'll enjoy it!
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete