June 15, 2015

Through to You by Emily Hainsworth


Through to You by Emily Hainsworth
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. He’d give anything to have just one more glimpse of her. But when Cam visits the site of Viv’s deadly car accident, he sees an apparition. Her name is Nina, and she’s a girl from a parallel world. When Cam follows her there and makes an unbelievable discovery, it’s as if all his wildest dreams have come true. But things are very different in this other world. Nina is hiding a secret, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with the truth, he’s forced to make a choice that will change his life forever.


Viv has been dead for two long months, but she's still everywhere.
And nowhere.

Through to You started out as an ok kind of read. I wasn't immediately impressed and begging for more, but I was doing alright. But by the end of the first chapter, I was really just engrossed in the idea of a parallel world. I was just salivating at the very idea, really. And I really can't say that it dissapointed me. I enjoyed the surrealism of stepping out of one world and into another that was just nearly identical. I loved seeing how one choice could effect the entire world - one person's choice could change the choices of all of those around them.

I find that butterfly effect to be truly amazing. The logistics of a parallel universe all at once seem to baffle and excite me. I truly love the idea. And I was glad to see it carried out so well. The parallels seemed very close, but also fairly different, which adds a certain level of believability to a fantasy type subject.

Now that I've rambled on about my love of the philosophy behind parallel universes, I believe it's only fair that I talk about the main character, Cam. I found Cam to be a well developed character, as far as sorrow and sadness. I don't feel like his character ever really communicated happiness, even when he was supposedly happy. It's like he hid himself. Not only from everyone who loved him, but from the reader as well. We never truly get to crack into that hard shell of a human being. And I think Cam was comfortable shutting us all out. I will say one thing for him though, he's at a college level of maturity. I spent a couple chapters wondering how old these kids were, that's for sure.

I can only assume that Cam was so mature because of the sorrow that he experienced.

When Cam enters the parallel though, it's like an entirely different character shining through. And not necessarily in a good way. Cam spends most of his time in the parallel trying to replace the other him. To straight up be him, really. And although there are similarities, I can't say that they're that much alike. They made very different decisions in life, and turned into completely different people.

I will say that I like the "love triangle" that I was seeing - you never see a love triangle with one boy and two girls. It just doesn't happen, and it's a totally different dynamic. I do have a favorite I was rooting for (go, Nina!) but I won't spoil who he ends up going for.

Speaking of the girls, I'll start with Viv - the dead girlfriend. I'll be completely honest, and I hate to speak ill of the dead, but I hated that bitch.

She was sneaky. She was conniving. And worst of all she hid it. I didn't like the way she constantly put herself above others, or the fact that she was always after Nina. Viv is truly a very disturbed girl, and a psycho killer level of crazy in my book.

Then we have sweet Nina. Who I'll admit, isn't completely innocent in anything. She may have done a little bit of her own conniving, but I found her to be more endearing than Viv, and all around more caring to Cam. She supported him, and helped him, and always tried to be there for him. I really liked that. That's definitely the kind of thing that men should be looking for in a girl.

The plot may not get an A+ score, but I'd say it was alright. Kind of predictable, but nothing we here at TBBR couldn't handle. All in all, I'd say it was a solid read. Worth the pages if you're interested in parallel universes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment