April 24, 2015

Written in Red by Anne Bishop


Written in Red by Anne Bishop
Series: The Others #1 
Source: Kindle Copy
Publisher: Roc
Publication Date: March 5th 2013
Age Genre: Adult (graphic violence)
Challenges: TBR-Paid For
Challenges: Flights of Fantasy
Meg Corbyn is on the run. Alone and desperate, she stumbles into the Lakeside Courtyard, where the Others reside. Meg knows entering a Courtyard is a dangerous risk - most people who tangle with the Others end up dead - but it's the only place she'll be safe from the people chasing her.
For Simon Wolfgard, leader of the Others residing in Lakeside, Meg is a puzzle and he has to decide if she is worth the fight to keep her in the Courtyard. It will be a fight not just with the humans hunting her down, but with some of the Others - as well as a fight with his own confusing feelings towards Meg.
For Police Officer Montgomery, Meg is the property he's supposed to recover - and the spark that could start a confrontation with the Others that would wipe out the human city of Lakeside.
And for Meg, who has seen her own future, living in the Courtyard is a chance to have a life - for what little time she has left.
(I chose this summary because it is the least revealing, and I think you should go into this book with as little background as possible to feel the full impact)
I'm not even sure if I have enough words to describe the amazingness of this book. And certainly I don't have enough words to explain what's so amazing about it. I don't even know how to explain that to myself, but I will try to anyways. Don't ever say I don't love you guys.

Have you ever read a book so good you just... want to re-read it the moment you finish it? Like, you know you've got other books that need your attention, but you want to go back to these characters and world you almost don't care? You just crave to be there again? Written in Red is literally THAT book. I applaud my self discipline for not re-reading it again immediately. I did, however, had to order the sequel.

The world in Written in Red is beyond incredible, both in the way it's built up throughout the book and the way it just is. It's all constructed slowly, sometimes between the lines, and so believably and seamlessly; from the mythology and the creation story, to the dynamics, the multiple povs and the un-romanticization of the supernatural.

That's right. Written in Red doesn't gloss over the reality of The Others. That is, they're the predators... and we're the prey. You're going to see your favorite characters kill, and they never hesitate about it. They never second guess. They never show remorse. And it's not going to make you love them less. If anything, you'll love them more for being so blatantly what they are. 

That said, they do... soften, throughout the book... thanks to Meg. 

Meg's the girl on the cover--though that's hardly how I imagine her. She's the human that starts to change things. She's running from something (and trust me, it's way creepy and way worth discovering on your own when you read it), and to escape, she applies for the job of the human Liaison in the Lakeside courtyard, where human laws do not apply.

Throughout her stay, she wins over both the humans and Others at the courtyard, with her kindness and innocence that kind of clash with her spunk and bravery (which she shows even in the face of Big Bad Wolves). And she just may be the bridge to create a different world. Already, the Others who have met her start to show more... considerations to the useful humans they don't plan to eat.

Others like Simon, Meg's surly boss and the leader of the courtyard; Vlad (can you guess what creature he is?), Sam (cutest cub ever), Tess, Winter, Jester.... And all of these characters, while being so Other, are also so very lovable. I adore each and every one of them--even when they murder in cold blood!

And while I can't categorize this book as romance, there is a big enough hint of it to LET THE SHIPPING BEGIN!
Luckily, I'm pretty sure my ship is going to be cannon, and I am going to have SO much fun seeing it come to life!

And finally, I could not stop reading this book. Like, for reals. It's been a long time since a book managed to hold me prisoner like that--and it's not like the book was filled with excitement all the time (a huge part of it is day-to-day life). It didn't need that to keep me interested.

My message to you? Read this book. RIGHT NOW. Go, do it! you're not going to be sorry!

Nitzan

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore this book. You're right, it's the kind of book you'll want to reread over and over again (I have done it four times already!) and it just gets better with each installment. Seriously, there's a reason why this book has so much adoring fans. It's LEGIT.


    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this as much as you did! It seems to be the general consensus. Books 2 and 3 are just as good, if not better so I'm looking forward to reading your reviews. The characters are just so easy to love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan on re-reading it soon tbh. I'm waiting for the third book to come out in paperback because the HC is to expensive for me (plus, I own 1&2 in PB...) and in the meantime, plan to revisit Written in Red and Murder of Crows ;)
    IT'S WAY LEGIT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank GOODNESS it's the general consensus! I don't know what I would've done if most people hated this book lol jumped of the metaphorical bridge maybe.
    They are so loveable *-* and ship-able!

    ReplyDelete