June 2, 2014

This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

This is What Happy Looks Like
This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Headline
Publication Date: April 2, 2013
If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

In all actuality, I have next to nothing to say about This is What Happy Looks Like. Sure, it was super cute and sweet, but it wasn't much more than that. It was an ultimately forgettable, fluffy kind of book. Which is totally okay, because I've been in a really fluffy mood lately.

Ellie and Graham were both okay kind of characters, but nothing really stood out about them. It was fun to read the alternating points of view, and to see how two completely different people handle their lives, but the reality is that neither of them was very unique.

I liked the romantic tone of the story, but I feel like most of it was just filler. There wasn't any real angst to speak of, and the story kind of trotted along on one hind foot. The ending was super sweet, but this is really all I've got. It reminds me of one of those chick flicks that are okay, but just don't live up to their full potential.

All in all, it was a cute read, but I didn't love love it like I hoped I would.
 

1 comment:

  1. Aly @ My Heart Hearts BooksJune 2, 2014 at 12:42 AM

    I didn't really like this one. I finished it and was like, what's the point. Mainly about the subplot with the dad. I liked TIWHLL enough, but like you said, it's fluff. I feel like it's cotton cotton candy. It had no sustenance.

    ReplyDelete