August 29, 2013

Doll Bones by Holly Black

Doll Bones
Doll Bones by Holly Black
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: May 7, 2013
Zach, Poppy and Alice have been friends for ever. They love playing with their action figure toys, imagining a magical world of adventure and heroism. But disaster strikes when, without warning, Zach’s father throws out all his toys, declaring he’s too old for them. Zach is furious, confused and embarrassed, deciding that the only way to cope is to stop playing . . . and stop being friends with Poppy and Alice. But one night the girls pay Zach a visit, and tell him about a series of mysterious occurrences. Poppy swears that she is now being haunted by a china doll – who claims that it is made from the ground-up bones of a murdered girl. They must return the doll to where the girl lived, and bury it. Otherwise the three children will be cursed for eternity . . .
Doll Bones was something I just picked up. I had no prior interest in it, and honestly, I don't particularly have any interest in it now. My only real interest in it was the scare factor. How scary could a MG book be? But then I started it. And realized, that, well, yes, as expected, it wasn't that scary. But first, let's get this out of the way-- I am deathly afraid of some of those porcelain dolls. They just freak me out, and that being said, well, this one didn't. Ouch, that's pretty sad.

The doll's story was actually fairly mediocre. That may have just been because I was expecting to have the wits scared out of me, but I can't discount the fact that it just wasn't scary. But I need to move on.

I don't very often read books with male narrators, so Doll Bones was unique in that way. Zach was kind of a funny kid, but the more I read from his point of view, the more I realized...he's like twelve. Maybe 13, and they're playing with "dolls"? That was a slight character flaw in itself. I mean, I realize that some people are more mature than others, but does a twelve year old boy really play with dolls? Not in this day and age. You'd be lucky to find a twelve year old that hasn't already had a girlfriend.

But aside from that, I did enjoy Zach and his friends, Alice and Poppy. Their adventure was awesome, and I liked the way that they were around each other. They were just simply friends.

All in all, Doll Bones was neither creepy enough, mature enough or interesting enough to have me hooked, but it was an okay read.

18 comments:

  1. Those books you just pick up at the library can be hit or misses. I might pick up 8 books from the library at once, but only fully read 5 of them. Not sure how I would take this book though. I scare easily :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that it has a male POV :) and I still can't believe how a drawing can look so creepy! Fantastic cover.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like a goosebumps book I read back in the day... Kept me up all night scared as can be and eyeing my dolls suspiciously, lol... Sad to hear it disappointed!

    Sarah @ Kitties Like Books Too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie @ The NovlistAugust 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM

    I've heard plenty of "meh" things about this one, so I'm not surprised you didn't find it as scary or perhaps as complex as you'd hoped. I tend to stay away from MG novels usually as I find that they're cute, light reads, but they usually don't offer the depth I tend to look for. Great review, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan@The Book BabeAugust 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM

    Me too. It's been worse since I started blogging, though. Because now I don't go to the library-- there's one in my room. But the same thing applies. O.O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan@The Book BabeAugust 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

    I do too! It something you don't see very often. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan@The Book BabeAugust 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM

    Haha, I remember those! Dolls freak me out anyway, though. I'm constantly staring at them suspiciously. LOL. It was dissapointing. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan@The Book BabeAugust 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM

    I have too, actually. I was just hoping that it was better than it sounded. I've actually found several really good MG novels recently! (: Thanks, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, dolls freak me out too. Or anything in a costume, really. That actually sounds really awkward, since there is a male narrator. I like Holly Black but will be skipping this one. Thanks for an honest review!


    -Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leigh (Little Book Star)August 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM

    I think I'll be skipping this. I've seen this book everywhere and I heard that Holly Black is a fantastic author, but it sounds like this book is not scary at all :/ The Goosebumps series scared the crap out of me when I was little and I feel like this book won't. I'm not really sure what I would feel after reading this book if I were to read it.. a 12/13 year old guy playing with dolls...hmm I don't know. It's just not my cup of tea.
    -leigh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dolls are so freaky...especially porcelain dolls, I guess they look too realistic or something. Hmm...this book doesn't sound that great. I actually love Holly Black's Curse Workers series, but it doesn't sound as if this series is even remotely similar. I'll probably stay away from this one...

    ReplyDelete
  12. They freak me out too, LOL. I don't know what it is. The male narrator playing with dolls actually was pretty awkward. LOL. I love Holly Black, but this one just wasn't for me! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is an amazing author-- her YA books are phenomenal, and I loved her Spiderwick Chronicles, but this one was just...flat. I never read the Goosebumps, but I'm positive that the would have scared me too. LOL. I can't imagine being a boy that old and playing with dolls. O.O

    ReplyDelete
  14. Porcelain dolls are the worst! o.O It really wasn't. The Curse Workers series was awesome, though. I still have to get my hands on Black Heart! I didn't feel like this book was similar to her other work at all. :/ I don't blame you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really like scary books and I wasn't expecting this one to be scary so I think that bodes well for when I do give this a read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was expecting something creepy because of the doll there is something on porcelain dolls (I am assuming porcelain and china dolls are the same) they are by themselves creepy enough so I thought the author would have had a head start with the creepy/scary factor, sad to see that wasn't it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally understand, and if you don't like scary? Well, this one bodes well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, they look the same to me. LOL. They are completely scary! They really freak me out. I'm sorry to see that it didn't scare me too. :/

    ReplyDelete