August 7, 2012

Counting Backwards by Laura Lascarso


Counting Backwards
Three weeks ago I tried to run away from home. Now all I want is to go back.


When troubled Taylor Truwell is caught with a stolen car and lands in court for resisting arrest, her father convinces the judge of an alternative to punishment: treatment in a juvenile psychiatric correctional facility. Sunny Meadows is anything but the easy way out, and Taylor has to fight hard just to hold on to her sanity as she battles her parents, her therapist, and vicious fellow patients. But even as Taylor struggles to hold on to her stubborn former self, she finds herself relenting as she lets in two unlikely friends-Margo, a former child star and arsonist, and AJ, a mysterious boy who doesn’t speak. In this striking debut, Laura Lascarso weaves together a powerful story of anger and self-destruction, hope and love.


My Thoughts/Review:

I really liked this book. Taylor was a great character, and I loved how she was so up-front about everything. She wasn't afraid to be who she really was, and it showed. She was completely crazy-cool, and she never ever let anyone tell her she was wrong. I admire that about her. She was wild, but she really grew throughout the book to be an amazing young woman. I'll admit, it did take a little bit of failed scheming before she got to be the character that I loved, but at least she did it.

A.J. was awesome. Completely cute and shy, but with his own brand of attitude. He is a bit of a thug in the first part of the book, but he later becomes one of the best characters in the book, along with Taylor, of course. Their story was so heart-wrenching, and full of sad instances, but also slightly happier ones. They were happy, for just a bit. Maybe we could all just be happy for a bit.

I can't honestly say that I enjoyed every sentence or thing that was said in this book, but half of it was enjoyed immensely. Basically, I loved it because it was so hard to read, and a bit angsty. Just got to love YA books with angst ridden character.

The story was great. There are a lot of books out there about rehab, but this one kind of blows them all out of the water, with it's amazing characters, and little strange quirks. I loved how Taylor knows that she has fear, yet chooses not to let it rule her life, in the end. It ruled her life for a while, but she got over it, and became a better character because of it. So, all in all, I'd say that this book is worth reading, if your into that kind of thing. ^.^



♠♠♠♠
Favorite Quote: A thousand Epic quotes were within this novel, but it won't be released until........
August 14, 2012

6 comments:

  1. First things first. I'm completely, and utterly jealous of you right now. I've been meaning to get this book for awhile now. August 14th ?! Ugh. Your review was amazing, though. Its a rehab? I thought it was a mental institution :( Still looks intriguing!

    Anastasia @ http://characterized.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! :P
      August 14 is only a week away! Thank you. It's kind of a rehab/mental institution. Rehab just worked for me when I was writing this review. Some things seemed like rehab, but others seemed like a psychiatric ward. It was weird. I liked it! :)

      Delete
  2. Really like the cover image! Enjoyed your review! It blow me away of how many people on the street need help but their mental condition is such they don't know how or refuse the help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting, isn't it? Thank you! It sucks, doesn't it. They just don't know.

      Delete
  3. Haha, I read what was in the quote section thinking it was a quote, and got supremely disappointed. ;) I was like, "Woah, 'A thousand epic qu-' oh wait, never mind."

    I'm probably the only person kinda freaked out by that cover. It's just kinda creepy, right? This is coming from a girl who's watched a total of 2 horror movies in her life because she's so easily creeped out, though, so I don't know if I'm the best judge of that, huh? ;)

    Thanks for the lovely review! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do stuff like that all the time. Not really. It's not one of my favorite covers, I can definitely say that. I watch like zero horror movies, lol.

      Welcome! :)

      Delete