February 20, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday #8


White Lines
Title: White Lines
Author: Jennifer Banash
Series: N/A
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication Date: April 4, 2013
Goodreads||The Book Depository
A gritty, atmospheric coming of age tale set in 1980s New York City.

Seventeen-year-old Cat is living every teenager’s dream: she has her own apartment on the Lower East Side and at night she’s club kid royalty, guarding the velvet rope at some of the hottest clubs in the city. The night with its crazy, frenetic, high-inducing energy—the pulsing beat of the music, the radiant, joyful people and those seductive white lines that can ease all pain—is when Cat truly lives. But her daytime, when real life occurs, is more nightmare than dream. Having spent years suffering her mother’s emotional and physical abuse, and abandoned by her father, Cat is terrified and alone—unable to connect to anyone or anything. But when someone comes along who makes her want to truly live, she’ll need to summon the courage to confront her demons and take control of a life already spinning dangerously out of control.

Both poignant and raw, White Lines is a gripping tale and the reader won’t want to look away.
First off, I really love that cover. It's definitely really eye-catching, and it does seem kind of vintage, don't you think? I would read it for the cover alone, but it seems like people usually want better reasons than that-- so I'll give you some. Most of the reviews that I've read for this make me think that it's very gritty and dark, and I seriously adore that in a book. Plus a teenage girl that makes her own decisions and doesn't rely on a guy to tell her who she is? I'm so there! (:

24 comments:

  1. I have White Lines on my TBR list. Cannot wait for the release. I love the description. I mean New York, the 80's? That had me right there.

    Melissa @ Sweet Treats and Thrilling Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm totally glad that I'm not the only one. ;) Me too! When I read the synopsis, I knew that I had to read it! :D

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before but I like the sound of it and I'd love to give it a try when it comes out. Great pick and thanks for sharing!
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hadn't? Well, I'm glad that I brought it to your attention! (: Thanks, sweetie! :)

      Delete
  3. I saw this one on NetGalley! Or it might have been Edelweiss. Or both? I didn't request it though - I just requested like 436431321 books from Edelweiss! But this one sounds very interesting! I've never read anything set in the 80s lol. Great pick!

    My WoW Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think it was Netgalley, because I saw it too-- and I was totally jealous that I didn't have an e-reader to read it with. It looks fabulous! Neither have I-- hopefully it'll be good! Thanks, girly! (:

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on a girl who doesn't rely on what a guy says, she needs to woMAN up and do it HER way! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! It's just super refreshing to see something like this in YA literature! ;) You're welcome! (:

      Delete
  5. This looks really good, and intense in a real-life kind of way! I'm adding it to my TBR!

    Bree :)
    WoW @ Coffee Bean Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too-- intense real life is the best kind, though! (:

      Delete
  6. I have heard good things about this one. Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that-- I hope that I do too! (:

      Delete
  7. This sounds really great, thanks for putting ANOTHER book on my pile!! Awesome pick!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, LOL! Books to the sky, right? (:

      Delete
  8. Great choice Megan! I'm looking forward to this one too! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweetie! I hope that we both get to read this one soon! :D

      Delete
  9. I have to say you picked out an interesting book for this week. Hope you enjoy it! Here is my WoW for this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that I love it to death! (:

      Delete
  10. I've seen this book on a few WOW posts so far. It sounds super interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's wait-worthy. ;) It sounds awesome!! (:

      Delete
  11. I loooove the sound of this one too! And yes, the cover is awesome!! I'm really excited for this :D

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I really think that it'll be awesome, and that cover adds a nice shock factor. Thanks for stopping by! (:

      Delete
  12. This sounds really good. Great pick! *adds to TBR list*

    By the way, I love the new blog theme. Did you design it? It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think it sounds fantastic! Thanks!

      Awwww, thank you! Best comment ever! Yes, I did. :D

      Delete