February 15, 2013

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)
Title: First Grave on the Right
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson, #1
Source: Traded for
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: February 1, 2011
Goodreads||The Book Depository
A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper

Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

I want to start off my review by saying that First Grave on the Right is not a book that I would normally pick up, but I was mistakenly led to believe that it was a YA paranormal novel. It isn't, but at this point I've already read it and there's nothing I can do about it. But in spite of the level of adult-ness included in this book (yes'm, there's sex), I still enjoyed it for the story quality.

Charley is the grim reaper. That's the first thing that we learn about her, so it's the thing that we retain the most. But what else is she? She's one awesome kick-butt character, who has a seriously awesome sense of humor. She doesn't take b.s. from anyone, and she's completely confident with who she is. I would kill to be like her. Now I've just got to give you a dose of the famous Charley humor:


But as I stepped toward the bathroom, I realized the worst part of my morning—the let there be light part—was fast approaching. I groaned and considered dillydallying despite the state of Uncle Bob’s arteries.

Just suck it up, I told myself. It had to be done. I placed a shaky hand on the wall, held my breath, and flipped the switch.

“I’m blind!” I yelled, shielding my eyes with my arms. I tried to focus on the floor, the sink, the Clorox ToiletWand. Nothing but a bright white blur.

I totally needed to lower my wattage. I stumbled back, caught myself, then forced one foot in front of the other, refusing to back down. I would not be stopped by a lightbulb. I had a job to do, dammit.


But moving on, before I feel the need to post even more snarky humor about dead people...and bathrooms. Seriously, if you're not busting a gut, you should totally go back and read that again. True story, folks, it happens. ;P

Moving on. I liked the whole mystery element, because it definitely kept me guessing...but I never ever saw that one coming. I didn't see any of that coming! *applauds for plot twists* Because Reyes is...and....ahh. I really don't know how to explain this, but I did not see it coming!

I think that I liked Reyes too, but I'm kind of hot cold about him. He's a very interesting love interest and all, but...he can be kind of...hardcore. To the point where you wonder about Charley's sanity in liking him, considering the first thing that he did to her...yeah, not one of his best moments.

All in all, I enjoyed First Grave on the Right, but I went into it expecting something different than I got. Can't say that I'm upset about it, though. ;)

8 comments:

  1. Charlie kicking butt and her sense of humor sounds great. I have heard a lot about it, but not that it was YA. Interesting...
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic!! LOL, that was just my own cray cray mind filling in the blanks. I saw it on a YA blog with no content warning, so I just assumed. That's me! ;P

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely liked the first one, so I can't wait for the second! (:

      Delete
  3. So it's more New Adult? Hmm, that definitely changes my perspective. Oh gosh, she sounds hilarious, I love humor in novels! That alone makes me want to read it! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that you could really call it that-- I mean, I've read YA books with more sex than this one, but I can't honestly say that I would classify it as NA. But it's not explicit or anything. If that makes sense. ;)

      She was totally awesome!! Thanks, sweetie! (:

      Delete
  4. Oooh. I saw this and my eyes kept going back to it, but now they're absolutely entranced after your review! Charley sounds amazing as does the whole entire story.

    LOVE the review!

    Sunny @ Blue Sky Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks sweetie! I hope that you get to read it soon, because Charley is totally funny! It was pretty cool. (: Thank you! (:

      Delete