August 18, 2012

Temptation(Temptation #1) by Karen Ann Hopkins

Temptation
Your heart misleads you.
That's what my friends and family say.

But I love Noah.
And he loves me.

We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms.

It should be

ROSE & NOAH

forever, easy.

But it won't be.

Because he's Amish.
And I'm not.


My Thoughts/Review:

To be honest, when I started this book I wasn't sure what to expect. I know very little about the Amish, and I wasn't sure if this was going to work out. For one, I've never been particularly interested in the Amish before, but I think this book may have peaked my interest, at least a little. Now I would really like to know more about their culture.

It seems so alien that people would choose to be entirely without all the things we take for granted. I just wanna know why.

Now, on to the actual review. This book was very.....conflicting. When Rose and Noah first met, I honestly thought they were going to be at each others throats the entire book. Amazing how first impressions can be wrong, isn't it?

For one, Noah and Rose kinda sorta immediately fell into an insta-love situation. Rose, for one, had never had a boyfriend, and was interested in Noah, and Noah has never been interested in a girl before. You know the drill. Yada, Yada, Yada. But it was different, because I thought that this book really put a fresh take on insta-love, after all of them vampire romances and stuff.

They didn't fall in love immediately, it took some time to develop. Not long, but some time. And, of course, throughout their short relationship, they realize that they can never be together. He's Amish, and she's English, so they will honestly never get to be together unless one of their lifestyles changes drastically.
So, she assumes that it will be his lifestyle, and he assumes the opposite. It makes me sad, that one person always has to win, and they can't just have a compromise. I realize that it's part of his culture and all, but why can't she be English and him be Amish? Imagine that, her living on an Amish farm, but being English.

I think that it might work out like that. I hope it does. I would really like to know what happens next.

Rose was very likable as a character, because her every thought wasn't, "I must submit to man." I hate characters who think that their man is the beginning and the end. It makes me want to strangle them. "You have a brain, girl. Use it!" So, it makes her all the more likable, since she isn't a weak character. She's strong, and she's willing to do what it takes to keep her and Noah together.

I thought that Noah was very likable too, but sometimes I think he went just a little too far with his thoughts or actions. He seemed like he might be a tad more aggressive than he needed to be, and it made me wonder about his actual home life, because it didn't seem like we got to see very much of it.

In the beginning, the alternate points of view were confusing, but once I got used to it, I believe that it added to the overall story, because we got to see it from both of their points of view. All in all, I enjoyed this book quite a bit, and I hope that the next one resolves some of my issues.

*This book was provided by the author for review.
♠♠♠♠
Favorite Quote:
And I was determined to be with him, no matter which world we ended up living in.
 
Would you like to be Miss Hopkins friend or fan?
Temptation's Fan Page
Her Page
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Saw your post in the Book Blogs group. I'm following you through GFC.
    365 Books A Year
    My Twitter if you want to exchange follows on Twitter. Just follow me and I'll follow back within 48 hours.

    This sounds like and interesting- and unique- book. I don't think I've ever seen a YA Amish romance. I don't like the adult ones, but this might be worth trying. I have relatives in Pennsylvania- near Amish/Penn Dutch towns. So, we always used to go there. As a result I've been fascinated by the Amish since I was a kid. Great review- makes me want to give the book a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! I've never seen a YA one before this either. The only time I've ever been near the Amish was when I was in wisconsin. For some reason we went through a state on the way there that had a lot of Amish.

    ReplyDelete